Friday, July 18, 2008

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen


(July 15) This was a great story -- it had animals, a great love story, a great murder mystery, fascinating information about circuses in the 1930s, some surprise twists and turns, and she's a good story teller... everything I could want in a book.

It didn't even need the memoir part, in my opinion -- but Gruen did some clever things with the transitions between modern Jacob and '30s Jacob, and the device creates a cool mobius-strip effect at the conclusion.

My only quibble with it, and this is just minor, would be that in the sections set in the '30s the people sound modern, rather than like they're living and speaking in the '30s. I'm basing this only on impressions of '30s movies and books I know of so it's not a well-informed opinion. I didn't expect to see expressions like "you shred it, wheat" or "hoo-ha" every two sentences but I did expect there'd be a little of that. Anyway, it certainly didn't detract from a great read.

No comments: