Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Like Water for Chocolate, Laura Esquivel (translated by Carol Christenson and Thomas Christenson)

Frida Kahlo. My Grandparents, My Parents, and I
(March 3) After years of hearing about this book, I was expecting "Betty Crocker meets Love Potion No. 9," but it was not that kind of book at all.

It was wonderful magical realism à la Gabriel Garciá Marquez or Isabelle Allende, which I love. And what was really fascinating and kind of satisfying about this version of it was that Esquivel carefully contrived all the supernatural events to have a rational interpretation... "it was Pedro's and Tita's undying passion that immolated the ranch, but afterwards people said that spilt wax was what started the fire that burned down the place"... that kind of thing. It's about how history becomes mythology. Well done.

Love it when love is the driving force in major events, sigh.

No comments: