Thursday, January 26, 2017

Love Warrior, Glennon Doyle Melton

Medici Venus (wax anatomical model), 18th century
(December 26, 2016) Recommended by Elizabeth Gilbert on her Instagram; I brought it along to read in Lachine over the holidays since it’s relatively short (250ish pages) and (I thought) an easy read: spiritual / personal development stuff and all that… easy, right?

I was then totally surprised and amazed at how powerful this book is. This woman is some writer. At first it was compelling just because Doyle Melton was so open and so vulnerable, and you felt like you were meeting a real woman and making a good friend

But then she begins to talk about every fear and dislike and worry, etc., I’ve ever had, and removes all the shame and disgust from them, and that was so welcome and such a relief.

And she is so relatable -- discovering the wonder of yoga, bonding with the seaside, fussing about her weight / looks, and so on and so on. So then I stalked her all over the place on-line, liking her and identifying with her more and more, unable to believe I had never heard of her before now.

Will I read her first book, Carry On, Warrior? Not right away probably -- her wisdom is somewhat exhausting and I need a wee rest from this. But I was basically blown away by this book. (Also, everything she says and reveals for you is in line with Abraham-Hicks.)

No comments: