Sunday, December 31, 2017

Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone, Brené Brown

George Agnew Reid, Call to Dinner, 1886-87
(Jan. 7) I can’t say Daring Greatly made me want to read any more of Brené Brown, but I guess I saw this one come out and be mentioned by all the usual suspects so I put it in my holds queue… and then I got it, and saw that it was a nice short book,… so I went for it. 

Braving the Wilderness made me realize what it was that was so unsettling about Daring Greatly: Brené Brown’s thirst to be seen as a scientist. Perhaps what she’s doing in this book is a little more desperate… this book feels like it got rushed out to address the hopelessness being caused by the Trump presidency… almost every best-selling self-help author is getting something out right now to shore up the faithful. 

I did notice particularly in this one that the cures to the ills Brené Brown finds are often expressions of her own values -- church-going, Christian family values (although “research” is given the credit).

She does blow you away with the intimacy of her personal stories. And I do think her message is solid gold -- she is basically saying we can have a more humane future if we can allow ourselves to be vulnerable, to show vulnerability. I think she's absolutely right. 

But no more of this science for me.

No comments: