Thursday, May 31, 2018

Younger: A Breakthrough Program to Reset Your Genes, Reverse Aging, and Turn Back the Clock 10 Years, Sara Gottfried

W.T. Benda, Cover of Life Magazine September 1923
(September 23, 2019) Iʼm pretty sure I heard of this book or this author through Goop -- I didnʼt make a note of it, but when I look up Sara Gottfried these 15 months later, a lot of the results direct you back to a Goop podcast or article about her -- particularly about her first claim to fame, the hormone-balancing protocol. Sheʼs been interviewed and cited many times over there.

Anyway -- itʼs a great book, in that it delivers an interesting premise and a galvanizing promise. ‟Dr. Sara,” as she likes to style herself, is convinced that most people can stave off the worst aspects of aging by following her health protocol, and the protocol is fairly easy and straightforward to follow... itʼs almost exactly what we were taught in Health in elementary school -- eat good foods, sleep a lot, play outside, brush your teeth, and so on... even the moral equivalents of ‟do your homework” and ‟go to church”: now they are ‟keep your mind engaged,” ‟honour your spiritual life.”

Dr. Sara presents all the supporting science to show that you can shorten or lengthen or ‟whatever” your telomeres, and affect all kinds of chemical processes in your body that accelerate aging or lead to ill health, all in terms that are understandable to the layperson. It is so cheering to learn that so much of what we dread about getting old is avoidable, and even reversible!

Her most encouraging refrain is that we are not at the sum total of our genes -- we inherit some unalterable stuff through our genes, but we are not at the mercy of our genetic heritage: most things are affected by environment / nurture.

So when I was first reading this, 15 months ago, the protocol felt easy to do and so rewarding, so I thought I would try to follow it closely, but now, coming back to it and getting into the detailed daily requirements, I find many inconveniences and realize itʼs unlikely that I will be able to follow it to the T. I do some of the basics of it already -- food, sleep, exercise, mental activity...

But Dr. Sara would like you to be in bed by 10 or 11 every night and up at 7 every day, and this is not going to happen for me; this is not what I retired for. Iʼm also going to be bad at the requirement to three times a day brush your teeth with an electric toothbrush and floss. Nor am I going to make bone broth every week, or avoid gluten, or get a sauna every few days, or take all the supplements she recommends, etc.

So I suppose that if I donʼt follow the protocol to the T, I wonʼt get the optimum results... but I donʼt mind: that is an already healthy thing about me: I never stress about meeting goals, lol.

No comments: